How To Get Married in Kodiak

In the state of Alaska, anyone can perform a marriage ceremony.  A friend or relative (over 18) can obtain a marriage commissioner appointment from an Alaskan court.  They do not need to be a resident of Alaska or even the U.S. in order to perform your ceremony.  Marriage license application and instructions are available on the Alaska vital statistics website.

1. Contact the State of Alaska Court System in Kodiak:

Alaska Court System
204 Mission Road
Kodiak, Alaska 99615
(907) 486-1600 or (907) 486-1600

Any interested person can write, call or come to the court office (in Kodiak, it's located right across the street from the downtown boat harbor) to request an appointment order. Interested persons include the bride and groom, the intended marriage commissioner or a relative or friend.

2. The court will need the following information:

  • The name of the intended marriage commissioner.
  • The full names of the bride and groom, including middle initials.
  • The month, day and year marriage is to occur.
  • The town or physical location where the marriage ceremony will be performed.

3. There is no charge or waiting period for this appointment.

However, applications should be submitted at least one week before the wedding date to allow time for the appointment to be processed.

4. The court will issue a written order appointing the marriage commissioner along with instructions.

The marriage commissioner is responsible for ensuring that the marriage is performed in compliance with the law and that the marriage certificate is filed with the Bureau of Vital Statistics.

5. The marriage should not be performed until the marriage commissioner has a copy of the written order in hand.

6. If the marriage is not performed on the date stated in the order, a new marriage commissioner appointment order must be obtained.

For complete instructions, please refer to the Alaska Court System website.

It is the responsibility of the bride and groom to apply for and pick up a marriage license. A marriage commissioner does not have the authority to obtain the marriage license for the couple.