National Register of Historic Sites in Kodiak

The Erskine House
Located on Marine Way in downtown Kodiak, this building is the only standing structure in Kodiak associated with the Russian American Company and the Alaska Commercial Company, the two commercial enterprises that were controlling factors in the early administration of Alaska.  The building was constructed by Alexander Baranof in 1792 as a fur warehouse (magazin). The building was constructed in a typical Russian-American style with rough-hewn logs.

Fort Abercrombie State Historic Site
Five miles north of downtown you’ll find the remains of a World War II era fort.  The site is strategically located atop a high cliff with commanding views of surrounding straits and bays. Dense stands of Sitka spruce provide a natural camouflage for the fort.  The area was withdrawn as a military reservation in 1941 but remainded operational until 1945.  The fort was named in honor of Lieutenant William H. Abercrombie, a noted Alaskan explorer of the late 19th century. The remains of the fort include concrete beds for gun emplacements, fragments of exploded armaments, cavernous magazines and building foundations.

Holy Resurrection Orthodox Church
You can’t miss this striking architectural feature in downtown Kodiak.  The traditional blue Orthodox onion domes rise above the city.  A detached bell tower and several graves marked with marble monuments are also on the site.

Old American Cemetery
Also known as the Old City Cemetery, the Old American Cemetery is located on Upper Mill Bay and remains one of the only surviving historic cemeteries on the Island of Kodiak. Starting in 1868 this cemetery served as the resting place for United States Soldiers from Fort Kodiak and was used until the 1940’s for American village people. There are five soldiers who were stationed at the original Fort Kodiak in the U.S. Artillery division that are buried in the cemetery. Two additional soldiers are also buried in this cemetery but their identity remains unknown. The Old American Cemetery originally was detached from the city but as the population grew buildings and homes were built around it.  

Russian Cemetery
Located on Upper Mill Bay across from the Russian Cemetery was designated for Russian’s and Natives residing in Kodiak. Before WWII, many Russian and Native graves located in the Old American Cemetery were moved to the Russian cemetery.

St. Herman’s Chapel
In 1794 St. Herman came to Kodiak on the ship “The Three Saints” and nearly 100 years later a chapel was built atop his burial on Spruce Island. The St. Herman’s Chapel on Mission Road in Kodiak serves as a replica and was built in 2002.